Atlas Oyster House is proud to present the next installment of Atlas Beverage Classes (A.B.C.). This semester we will be focusing on local breweries, wineries and distilleries, discovering what is going on in the beverage world right here in our backyard. In addition to the beverage tastings, we will feature small plates paired with each beverage, as prepared by Chef Jason Hughes.
A.B.C. will be held outside, on the Deck, the first Thursday of the month (January through June) and will feature a local presenter discussing the highlighted beverages. Classes will consist of four tastings of beverages with four mini appetizers to complement each tasting. Classes will cover the basics as well as specific information regarding the history of the brewery/winery/distillery and their beers, wines, or spirits.
There are two classes every month, each an hour and a half long. The first class begins promptly at 5:00 p.m. with the second class beginning at 7:00 p.m. Class cost is $25 per person (plus tax and gratuity), per class, which gets each participant one tasting of each of the featured beverages. In addition, throughout the class, participants should be prepared for “pop quizzes,” where we will be giving away T-shirts, beer glassware, gift certificates and more. Seating is limited, reservations are required; be sure to make yours by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org or calling 850-287-0200. The featured themes for each class are as follows:
January 5th: Brown-Forman Distillery featuring BenRiach & Glenglassaugh
For more than 150 years, Brown‑Forman has enriched life by responsibly building fine quality beverage alcohol brands. They are crafters and coopers; all unique individuals united by a shared passion for their quality spirits and dynamic industry. They share a common dedication to demonstrate and ensure there is nothing better in the market. Brown‑Forman has navigated and thrived through 15+ decades of many industry, economic, and geopolitical shifts, from world wars and U.S. Prohibition, to recessions and global crises, walking out resilient for the better — yesterday, today, tomorrow, and for generations to come.
- BenRiach 10 Year paired with Magic Mushrooms: seared exotic mushrooms, whipped ricotta, caramelized shallot, roasted garlic, balsamic greens, Emerald Coast Bread Co. toast, truffle honey
- BenRiach 20 Year paired with Creamy Seafood Chowder: smoked Gulf fish, Blue crab claw meat, fresh thyme, white wine, cream, oyster crackers
- Glenglassaugh Revival paired with Motoyaki-Baked Oysters: white miso, Kewpie mayo, garlic-chili breadcrumbs
- Glenglassaugh Evolution paired with dark chocolate walnut torte with candied fruit and salted caramel
February 2nd: Emerald Republic Brewing Co. (Pensacola, FL)
Emerald Republic was devised in 2008 when owner/founder Phil Zayas began his passion for homebrewing. Phil probably could have gone from homebrewer straight into business, but he wanted to hone his craft. In 2017 Phil graduated from the University of California, Davis, with a Professional and Master Brewers Certificate. He then began the journey to find a perfect home for the Republic. Phil saw the blossoming craft beer scene and wanted to extend it to the west side of Downtown Pensacola. In 2018, the Republic found its home in an old auto-mechanic shop that was built in the 1960s. Inspired by its industrial past, Emerald Republic took shape with its minimalistic colors, exposed trusses, and open space- while still having a warm, inviting ambiance.
- For One Perfect Moment paired with Truffle Fries: crispy fries, white truffle oil, truffle salt, shaved pecorino romano
- Bro. Chill. American Light Lager paired with Ahi Tuna Poke: Gulf yellowfin tuna, soy dressing, avocado, cucumber, wakame, taro chips
- Phil and Fred’s Excellent Adventure Mexican Lager paired with Atlas Shrimp and Grits: Jumbo Gulf shrimp, roasted local corn, tomato, house-smoked tasso, C & Mill stone-ground rice grits, lemon leek cream
- Ten Wraiths New England IPA paired with brioche doughnut holes with guava glaze and spiced pineapple compote
March 2nd: Weedline Tropical Spirits (Apalachicola, FL)
Over salt marshes, mud flats and barrier islands, ocean breezes bring sand and sea to the mainland. This place is legend for big southern hospitality and even bigger fishing stories. Here, three friends whose love for fishing was only surpassed by their love of fine spirits, decided to bottle the feeling of leaving the shore behind while cruising out to deep waters. Open a bottle and taste the tropical tones of the sun melting on the Western horizon. Weedline’s Tropical Vodka and Rum are proof that it doesn’t get any better than tight lines, good friends, warm breezes and plenty of Spirits.
- The Pearl featuring Weedline Tropical Rum paired with Smoked Gouda & Bacon Baked Oysters: champagne butter, smoked Gouda, applewood bacon
- Weedline Toe the Line Tea paired with Shrimp & Crab Nachos: Blue crab, Gulf shrimp, brandy-Brie, cream, pecorino romano, house pico de gallo, house pickled jalapenos, shredded lettuce, cumin sour cream
- Weedline Punch paired with Maine lobster pimento mac and cheese
- Sunny Weed paired with tangerine sherbet and papaya shortcake
April 6th: Faubourg Brewing Co. (New Orleans, LA)
From their beginnings on Tulane Avenue to their new home in New Orleans East, Faubourg Brewing Co. continues to honor our local heritage while investing in cutting-edge technology. “At the brewery, delivering products of the highest quality and consistency is what we’re all about — and we do it with a refreshing blend of tradition and innovation.” Faubourg combines technology and tradition to retain their beers’ aromatic quality while meeting the most modern brewing standards. Computerized controls cover each step of production, from the filtered water coming in to the flow of cans and bottles on the way out. In our cutting-edge lab we analyze samples throughout the brewing process, checking for uniform color, alcohol content and product consistency. Once it passes lab approval, it’s time for the most stringent test of all — the taste test. Faubourg’s unique brewing process is designed to lift every ingredient to its full potential.
- Premium Lager paired with Southern-style deviled with everything bagel smoked salmon, buffalo blue cheese and Applewood bacon
- Golden Cypress Wheat Ale paired with crawfish pot pie
- Dat’ Suma IPA paired with Maine lobster roll
- Westwego West Coast Style IPA paired with strawberry strudel with vanilla bean creme anglaise
May 4th: Cinco De Mayo Celebration featuring 21-Seeds Tequila
Founder and CEO Kat Hantas is the brains behind 21Seeds – the all-natural, fruit-infused tequila that not only makes a statement on your bar cart and taste delicious, but is disrupting the alcohol industry with an approachable disposition to spirits. 21Seeds was born in Kat’s kitchen when she began looking for alternatives to beer and wine using fresh fruits and other simple ingredients she had on hand. Already having a keen talent for crafting an exceptional cocktail, Kat wanted to create the perfect drink that she could not only enjoy, but also serve to friends and family. Partnering with her sister, Nicole Hantas-Emanuel, and her best friend Sarika Singh, Kat created 21Seeds – the all-natural, fruit-infused tequila. Available in three infusions, including Valencia Orange, Cucumber Jalapeño and Grapefruit Hibiscus, Kat is committed to using only the highest quality ingredients that are perfect for making better-for-you, low calorie cocktails.
- 21 Seeds Grapefruit Hibiscus Tequila paired with roasted pork taquitos, corn and black bean vinaigrette, mole, cumin sour cream, whipped avocado and pico de gallo
- 21 Seeds Cucumber Jalapeño Tequila paired with grilled asparagus quesadilla featuring feta, pepper jack, white wine-lemon butter, oven-dried tomato jam, cumin sour cream, plancha
- 21 Seeds Valencia Orange Tequila paired with Gulf seafood ceviche
- 21 Seeds Tequila paired with Key lime carlota with fried bananas and coconut cajeta
June 1st: Urban South Brewery (New Orleans, LA)
“At Urban South, we’re combining the heritage of European beer making with the brashness of new American styles. That mixture of cultural legacy and bold innovation is why New Orleans was the perfect place to take root. We opened our New Orleans production facility and taproom in 2016. In February 2020, we opened an R&D brewery and taproom in Houston where we’ll focus on pushing the boundaries of American beer. Our company’s mission is to inspire community and fellowship through the gospel of good beer. We operate with fearlessness and integrity in an effort to brew the South’s most respected beer. Our vision is to build an enduring company that embodies the values and traditions of the Urban South. We seek to be strong community partners and produce world-class beer.” Jacob Landry -Founder, President
- Paradise Park American Lager paired with watermelon caprese featuring balsamic reduction, burrata, basil, Shoreline olive oil and parmesan crisp
- Paradise Park Lo-Cal IPA paired with panko-crusted fried green tomatoes, lump crab salad, fresh mozzarella, five-pepper jelly and balsamic greens
- Lime Cucumber Gose paired with summer rolls featuring Jumbo Gulf shrimp, house kimchi, mango, cucumber carrot, basil, glass noodles, peanut sauce, soy-ginger glaze and scallion
- Who Dat Golden Ale paired with mango sticky rice, chai ice cream and sesame crunchies