Bayou la Batre Creamy Crab over Chorizo-Annatto Risotto
- 1 pound jumbo lump crabmeat from Bayou la Batre
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 teaspoon annatto seeds steeped in 1 cup hot chicken broth
- 1 pound chorizo sausage, sliced thin on a bias
- ¼ cup unsalted butter, divided
- 1 cup onions, chopped fine
- 1 cup Arborio rice
- ½ cup dry white wine
- 3-5 cups hot chicken broth
- 1 cup Pecorino Romano cheese, freshly grated
- ¼ cup scallions, cut small
Kosher salt to taste
Cracked black pepper to taste
In a small bowl, steep the annatto seeds in boiling broth and set aside. Set a heavy, nonreactive saucepan over medium-high heat. Add half the butter and sauté onions until tender; about 3 minutes. Add rice, stir well to coat the grains, then continue stirring as you deglaze with the white wine. Add annatto broth, and then add the hot chicken broth in stages as you stir. As you stir and the broth is absorbed, add more broth to cover. When rice is tender and broth is absorbed (about 25 minutes), finish risotto with remaining whole butter.
In a separate, preheated sauté pan, add the sliced chorizo. Cook for 1-2 minutes total cooking time, turning once. Remove the sausage slices, place on a plate and set aside. To the same pan add whipping cream over medium-high heat and whisk frequently until slightly thickened; about 10 minutes. Add crab to the warm cream and reheat until hot. Season sauce lightly with salt and pepper. Place a mound of annatto risotto in the center of each plate. Arrange starburst pattern of chorizo sausage slices at the base of the risotto mound. Pour crabmeat mixture over top of the annatto risotto and top with fresh-grated cheese and chopped scallions.