Atlas Oyster House is proud to present our next installment of Atlas Beverage Classes (A.B.C.). This semester we will be focusing on handcrafted beers as well as featured spirit brands and our newest addition — cocktails with Shaun Dixon, our very own assistant bar manager and master bartender. In addition to the beverage tasting, we will be featuring small plates paired with each featured beverage, as prepared by Fish House Chef Billy Ballou.
The classes will be held outside on the first Thursday of the month on the Deck Bar (weather permitting) each month from January through June and will feature a presenter discussing the highlighted beverages. Classes will consist of four tastings of beverages with four mini appetizers to complement each tasting. Classes will cover the basics as well as specific information regarding the history of the featured brewery/distillery and their beers or spirits.
There are two classes every month, each an hour and a half long. The first class begins promptly at 5:00 p.m. and ends at 6:30, the second class begins promptly at 7:00 p.m. and ends at 8:30. Classes cost is $20 per person (plus tax and gratuity) per class, which gets each participant one tasting of each of the featured beverages. In addition, throughout the class, participants should be prepared for “pop quizzes,” where we will be giving away T-shirts, beer glassware, gift certificates and more.
January 7th – Props Brewing
Props is a new brewery out of Fort Walton — one of their two head brewers, Nate Vannatter, will be here as our guest speaker.
- Blonde Bomber paired with brie en croute
- Four Kings Brown paired with house-made sausage and smoked cheddar
- Flying Coffin IPA paired with curry chicken thighs
- Prop Oil Porter flourless chocolate cake
February 4th — NOLA “The Birthplace of the Cocktail”
New Orleans is a city that’s overflowing with “flavor” — so we’re going to take a past-to-present tour; from America’s first cocktail, the Sazerac, to one of today’s favorites, the Hand Grenade. Assistant Beverage Director, Shaun Dixon, will be the guest speaker for this class.
- Sazerac paired with boudin balls
- French 75 paired with seafood gumbo
- Hurricane paired with jambalaya
- Hand Grenade paired with king cake
March 3rd – Rum: A Taste of the Islands
Crafted with sugar cane or molasses, aged decades or not at all, in stainless steel or in traditional French oak, rums from the Caribbean are as unique as the sunny islands from which they originate. Don Lott and Zach Fear from Southern Wine and Spirits will be the guest speakers for this event.
- Pusser’s British Navy Rum paired with jerk chicken
- The Real McCoy 12 Year paired with coconut shrimp
- Zafra Master Reserve paired with ginger-crusted fish with pineapple chutney
- Cruzan Black Strap paired with assorted chocolate truffles
April 7th – Woodchuck Cider
Nothing reminds us of springtime quite like the refreshing, crisp taste of a cool pint of cider. Lindsey Engle from Pensacola Bay Brewery will be our guest speaker for this class.
- Granny Smith paired with smoked salmon with a honey crisp slaw
- Gumption paired with cider-glazed pork with apple-potato hash
- Barrel Select paired with poached pears with pancetta and fresh arugula
- Summer paired with warm apple pie with vanilla ice cream
May 5th Tequila styles: Cinco de Mayo!
It’s time for a tour de tequila! From unaged to aged, blended and back again, this class will explore the spirit of the holiday. Don Lott and Zach Fear from Southern Wine and Spirits will be the guest speakers for this class.
- Espolon Blanco paired with Mexican street corn
- Cruz Del Sol Reposado paired with a marinated flank steak quesadilla
- Tres Agaves Anejo paired with chili and beer-braised brisket
- Patron Incendio paired with cinnamon and sugar churros
June 2nd – Domestic Spirits (part 4): Art in the Age Liqueurs
Art in the Age is a very unique craft distillery in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, that has created a range of very special American-made liqueurs. Billy Dunn and Michelle Knox from Premier Beverage will be the guest speakers for this class.
- Snap paired with shredded pork with roasted carrots
- Root paired with char-grilled root beer BBQ ribs
- Sage paired with citrus duck confit with watercress and orange vinaigrette
- Rhubarb paired with roasted plum and ginger ice cream
(Note – featured breweries/distilleries and menus are subject to change)
Seating is limited and reservations are required, so be sure to make yours by calling Bryant Liggett, (850) 712-7379 or email email@example.com.